johnLast week i posted about my story, how God has been gracious in this journey of walking with him. I went ahead and asked people to share their testimonies of how God has been faithful, and some of the things he has delivered them from. A few people shared their testimonies, some not on the blog. Today I wish to share the testimony of John Mwangi who works with Trinity Fellowship Nairobi, of course with his consent.

It’s a story of God’s transformation in His life and just how far he is coming from. Enjoy!

I’m glad to share my story here too! I am a half-tribe:born of A Luhya dad and a Kikuyu mum, with a elder brother and a younger sister . In the early 90’s when I was around 4 years my dad and mum separated after dad became unfaithful. It was at this rocky period that mum got to know the Lord and get saved. Since mum could not raise us up all by herself (she was and still is a tailor), we had to relocate and be brought up by my grandparents.
Halfway through nursery school, my dad reconsidered taking my sister and I back. So, off we were to Nairobi where we schooled at my dad’s place together with my step-mum’s kids. He managed to raise us up till 1997 (I was in class three and my sister was in class two then). We spent the whole of first and second terms of 1997 out of school. In third term, my mum decided to take us back for good. We went back to upcountry where our grandparents graciously took us back.
Those were some of the most painful days. Being separated from my dad, and now mum was really painful. I started having health complications early 1998 and would be glad since that meant being with mum. However, after recuperating that meant going back to upcountry and moving on. My sister seemed to have settled well, and my brother had already surrendered to the worst. It seemed as if I was the only one still attached to my parents ,especially mum.
During the holidays I would wait for mum when she came visiting and would make sure I have my stuff stacked in her bag on her way back to Nairobi. And it did succeed on a number of occasions. I longed to be with my parents. But not always. It was this time that I was confronted with the fact that we were poor. Else, why would mum not be with us?
And that drove me to working hard. I was a bright student since my formative years. I topped my classes since class one to class eight, except on two occasions where I was second position.
My grandparents encouraged me to work hard. It was somehow a crime for me to be found in the kitchen with my siblings and relatives at night. I had to be near my books. It felt unfair at times, especially when hearty laughter would come from the kitchen, while I was in the sitting room squinting to read all by myself!
But it was a blessing in disguise.(I look back in hindsight and see that it was rather unfair for my relatives not taking a keen interest in my cousins’ and my siblings’ education) Come 2002, and I had done my very best. I had scored some 400 marks to secure myself a place in Njiiri school! I was the 3rd best in our division, the first to perform so well from my school in those times.
Everything was on my side, though I still had to be sent home on my very first day of reporting as a form one. The future was bright, and I could now take it by the horns.
On my second time of reporting mum reminded me to go to the Christian Union once I had settled in school. I did not know what Christian Union  was. The closest I had gone to spiritual things was attend Sunday service with my grandma back in the village. It had the advantage of forcing me to take a shower and put on ‘Sunday Best’, otherwise-no shower for the better part of the week! So, mum’s suggestion was something I had not heard, but I did heed. I knew that she somehow meant well.
But God in his mercy had orchestrated that that first weekend of our reporting would be the School’s official Weekend challenge. Jammed in our assembly hall that used to be so full and stuffy was me with all the excitement my village could muster the hope of a bright future and the excitement of having some wonderful time in church! Until the preacher took to the podium.
I do not remember what scripture he used but God did use him to reveal to me my own sinfulness. I remember sitting there and realizing that my problem wasn’t that I came from a poor background, had a father who had abandoned us and a mother separated from us as she struggled to raise us up. These were symptoms of a disease-not the disease. The disease was sin. And just like the rest-just like my dad and mum before the got saved, I was also a sinner. I was a sinner in God’s sight, even though I was a hero in my village and family. Sin, my own sin, was the problem, not merely the poverty I had lived with. It mattered less whether I was bright or not if sin had not been dealt with in my life.
Then I heard the good news. Jesus came to die for sinners. I deserved to die to pay for my sins. But he paid the price for all who would believe in him. Would I believe? I was too timid to lift my hands, but deep down I knew God had found me. When the Christian Union officials announced that all who gave their lives to Jesus were to meet the following day in one of the classrooms, I was eager to be there! My burden had been lifted the previous night and I was gaining courage to join with the brothers. 15th February, 2003 was the night God found me!
And he found me at the right time; just before I could get trapped into school life. Christian Union fellowship used to take place on Saturdays during entertainment time. Please remember that I was a village boy. The very sight of a giant screen was a temptation enough. But the warmth of the fellowship triumphed over the desire to literally gawk at the screen. Sweet were the Saturday nights, where we could sing and pray together!
Being now in high school gave me the opportunity to visiting mum over the holidays. There I was reconnected through God’s goodness with one of my childhood friends who had also gotten saved. He took me to a fellowship that became second home. All my holidays would be spent in church. Our days would be full of activities. That allowed for no idleness. And there I got three of my lifelong friends whom we’ve journeyed together!
At just the right time God saved me!